Mechanical Design Engineer
Seasats is a small but rapidly growing company building autonomous boats for commercial, defense, and ocean science customers. The vehicles we build are strong and durable enough to carry sensors on multi-month ocean missions, but are also light enough to be handled by 1-2 people without cranes or heavy equipment.
Mechanical Design Engineer
$75,000-$120,000 + stock options
Rather than making a highly specific job post asking for x years of experience, we’ve left this post and its salary range pretty broad. If you apply, we’ll see how you would fit into our organization and offer compensation accordingly. If you have minimal work/project experience your offer may be on the lower end; if you’ve got killer experience/credentials you’ll be on the higher end.
- Full fluency in SolidWorks
- Experience working with small – medium [1 – 500 parts] assemblies
- A high level understanding (eg. can explain in a sentence the pros and cons) of assembly management and revision tracking fundamentals
- Understanding of how different manufacturing processes (i.e. CNC, 3D printing, waterjet, etc) affect design
- Experience working in small (3 – 25 people) mechanical engineering teams
- Ability to take a napkin sketch, create a first draft CAD model, receive feedback from another engineer and proceed iteratively
- Ability to select suitable materials (ideally but not essentially in maritime applications)
- Experience with outsourcing parts to external vendors/fabricators
- Communication skills – with vendors and internal team
- Organizational skills — tracking BOMs, following up with suppliers etc.
- Attention to detail — checking clearances and tolerances, creating drawings for suppliers, etc.
- Time management – familiar with project timelines and designing to schedules
- Experience with design-build-compete teams of any sort is great
- Understanding of fundamental ME engineering design principles: stress/strain, free-body diagrams, basic material properties, etc
We’re looking for a mechanical design engineer to help us create and manage designs for our next-generation autonomous boats. In this role, you will work alongside experienced design engineers and builders to develop and refine CAD assemblies and bring them to life. This is an excellent opportunity to do high impact work, see your designs go into live field applications, and join a fun and hard-working team on the cutting edge of ocean autonomy.
Specific tasks could include:
- Designing parts and subassemblies
- Organizing existing assemblies
- Shaping design and organizational processes within the engineering team
- Reviewing, detailing, and configuration management of CAD models
- Designing (CAD) fixtures, tooling, jigs
- Sourcing and communicating with suppliers
- Filling out vehicle BOM and evaluating production options
- Searching for speed and process refinements to increase production efficiency
- Assembly and QA of incoming parts from external suppliers
Whether you’re a new grad or a 30 year industry vet, we expect an open-minded learning attitude at Seasats.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Confirmation that you’re in San Diego or willing to relocate here.
- 1 sentence (or less) for each of the following fabrication methods describing your experience designing and/or outsourcing parts for that method:
- 3D printing
- Waterjet cutting
- A design and “as built” picture for at least 2 parts you’ve designed
- A sentence describing a part you’ve outsourced that had a build error (whether due to design, communication, or builder, doesn’t matter)
- A resume
- A few sentences about how you heard of us and what you’d hope for in this job
- Possible start date (or range)
We appreciate diverse perspectives and life experiences and so encourage people of all backgrounds to apply. Note, however, that we are currently unable to sponsor employment visas, so candidates must be independently authorized to work in the United States.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.